Caritas works on behalf of those at risk fromdevastating pandemics such as HIV and AIDS, tuberculosis (TB) and malaria.
In the developing world, poverty itself is both a cause and an effect of pandemics that devastate the physical, social and economic health of entire regions.
Caritas raises awareness about AIDS issues around the world through training workshops. In 2009, it facilitated workshops in Asia, Africa and Oceania, with a particular focus on training young people.
It also published the Caritas Training Manual on AIDS in French and Arabic. Caritas is a member of CHAN (Catholic HIV and AIDS Network) which aims to strengthen the response of Catholic faithbased organisations to the HIV pandemic.
- Provision of medicines and care
- Income generation activities
- Training for health workers
- Raising public awareness on prevention, stigma and discrimination
- Advocacy for universal access to care and treatment