Caritas’s HAART for Children Campaign wants HIV + women and children diagnosed and treated early. This can make a world of difference in bettering their health and prolonging their lives.
HAART actively works for the prevention of the transmission of the virus to be a priority and for the medicine necessary to be provided.
The HAART for Children campaign promotes the development of a simple and affordable diagnostic test for infants and urges pharmaceutical companies to develop child-friendly antiretroviral medications. It also advocates widely for all pregnant women to be tested voluntarily and to be offered treatment, elective caesarean surgery and alternatives to breastfeeding where appropriate.
Caritas is also actively engaged in “The Global Plan” run by UNAIDS which aims to eliminate new HIV infections among children by 2015 and to keep their mothers alive. It fosters links with the World Health Organization and the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, TB, and Malaria. Caritas organizations either directly sponsor or support HIV/AIDS programmes in more than 115 countries.
- HAART for Children: Campaign for greater access to pediatric HIV and TB testing and treatment
- Prescription for life: Take action to help children living with HIV
- HAART Newsletter August 2013, Issue 5
- HAART Newsletter January 2013, Issue 4
- HAART Newsletter October 2012, Issue 3
- HAART Newsletter June 2012, Issue 2
- HAART Newsletter March 2012, Issue 1