Caritas teams visiting Duekoué in Cote D’Ivoire are reporting a thousand people have been killed there or ‘disappeared’.
The Caritas Cote D’Ivoire staff were part of an inter-agency assessment team to the town on Wednesday 30 March.
The massacre took place in the ‘Carrefour’ quarter of town, controlled by pro-Ouattara forces, during clashes on Sunday 27 March to Tuesday 29 March.
Mr Ouattara has claimed victory in last year’s election.
Caritas does not know who was responsible for the killing, but says a proper investigation must take place to establish the truth.
Caritas condemns call attacks on civilians and says the humanitarian situation in Cote D’Ivoire is rapidly deteriorating.
Please call +39 06 698 79 725 or +39 334 359 0700 or email firstname.lastname@example.org with any requests.