Job position: Programme Officer
Type of contract: Fixed-Term Contract (3 years/ full time)
Department: Operations Department, Institutional Development and Capacity Strengthening (IDCS) Unit
Line Manager: IDCS Head of Unit
Work place: Caritas Internationalis, General Secretariat – 00120 Vatican City
Contribute to the institutional development and capacity strengthening of Member Organisations (MOs), in cooperation with the Regional Secretariats, in order to promote their long term-sustainability, with the aim to increase the effectiveness of the Confederation through localisation.
Support and accompany Member Organisations, especially the most in need, in their organisational development process; contribute to the coordination of the capacity strengthening efforts across the Confederation, also in cooperation with the Regions; study and analyse capacity strengthening methods, develop training modules and facilitate training sessions.
1. Contribute to the Confederation’s efforts for organisational development of Member Organisations
1.1 Analyse and facilitate the review process of the MOs’ improvement plans following the assessments against the CI Management Standards and support, in collaboration with the Regional Secretariats, the MOs in need to monitor the implementation of their improvement plans;
1.2 Work in cooperation with the Regional Secretariats and the IDCS Committee to identify global and regional trends and organisational needs and develop training modules at global and regional level, to be adapted to different contexts;
1.3 Contribute to identify and share best practices of organisational development within the Confederation;
1.4 Contribute to enhance the Regional IDCS Committees/Working groups.
2. Contribute to support and accompany the Member Organisations in most fragile situations
2.1 Facilitate the promotion and implementation of the CI Organisational Development Solidarity Fund across the Confederation;
2.2 Support the MOs most in need, in cooperation with their respective Regional Secretariat, to develop and implement their organisational development process;
2.3 Monitor ongoing processes of capacity strengthening.
3. Contribute to the coordination of the capacity strengthening efforts across the Confederation.
3.1 Contribute to the implementation of the CI Management Standards (CIMS),
3.2 Contribute to roll-out and implement the Management Standard on Safeguarding;
3.3 Develop studies and research on capacity strengthening methods;
3.4 Enhance visibility of capacity strengthening programmes, tools and experiences through an
effective communication (Baobab, website, social media, articles, etc.);
3.5 Enhance the mapping exercise across the Confederation, in cooperation with other stakeholders
3.6 Collaborate with the other Units of the CI General Secretariats on areas of common interest and
3.7 Participate in the team working and planning, evaluation and learning session of the IDCS Unit and
contribute to the Unit’s and Department’s actions as requested by the supervisor.
3.8 Contribute to the work of study and analysis within the IDCS Unit and the Operations Department.
KNOWLEDGE, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- Degree in Social/Political Sciences, International Cooperation, International Relations or similar sectors;
- At least 5 years of field experience in management of programmes, especially in complex contexts, with role of facilitation, coordination and/or programme management;
- Knowledge of and experience in programmes of institutional development and capacity strengthening;
- Very good knowledge (oral and written) of at least two official languages of the Confederation (English, French, Spanish); knowledge of French is a definite asset;
- Previous experience in the Caritas network is an asset;
- Interest for and knowledge of developing training modules and facilitating training sessions (previous experience on it is an asset);
- Interest for and knowledge of data analysis and reporting, research on capacity strengthening methods;
- Capacity and willingness to work in multicultural and complex environments;
- Capacity of adaptation, flexibility and availability to travel in different countries, even with a short-term notice;
- Capacity and willingness to work under pressure;
- Ability to communicate (oral and written) and build relationships in a multicultural context;
- Solid knowledge of the Catholic Church Organisation and Catholic Social Teaching;
- A demonstrable empathy and interest in the work of Caritas and embracing the faith and values of the Catholic Church.
How to apply
Caritas Internationalis’s talent acquisition procedures reflect our commitment to safeguarding children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation. To this aim, we follow safe recruitment practices according to our safeguarding policies.